And so we’ve arrived at the end of an incredibly fruitful and engaging Project 1. I’m really proud of how our group fared today; we spent a lot of additional time rehearsing and flushing out our presentation since our dry run last week, and I think our hard work really paid off. Much of my time the past few days was spent painting the renderings of our Top 5 solutions, and I think that presenting them in a Pecha Kucha non-text format really helped our audiences focus on the illustrations themselves. I’m hopeful that my storytelling helped paint a narrative…
After months of diverse and exciting projects, it was time to take on a culmination of all our past work. P4 was a way for us to practice visualizing data of our choosing while incorporating all of our learnings from P1-P3. What was neat about this project was that we had technically started it way back in March, but none of us really knew how it would all unfold a month of data later. Here’s a rundown of how my process for the project went!
When we were told to collect weather data along with two other variables each day…
It was a really rewarding process to be able to revisit our work from P1 and take it so much further. Our group had a blast taking the countless ideas we had generated weeks ago and refining them, and overall, I thought this design process was really immersive and engaging. From starting with storyboards, to discussing our solutional criteria, to creating lowfi mockups in chalk, to actually going through the decision and scriptwriting process, this project really had a bit of everything.
This was it. The final project of a semester full of learning, development, and exploration. Throughout P1-P4, I had gotten to experience all sorts of new design. From posters, to book covers, to graphics, each project had been a stepping stone leading up to the final project. And in many ways, P5 served as a perfect culmination for the semester. Creating a book required so much more patience, repetition, and focus than all of the other tasks combined, and I was immensely excited for this challenge. Here’s how the process went down!
When Suzanne introduced P5, I immediately knew that…
When I originally started researching the minor in Design at CMU, I was nervous. I was fascinated by design, and I desperately wanted to start learning its fundamentals. But I was not a designer by trade — I was an artist, and I felt far more comfortable with a pencil and paper than I did with a computer mouse and Illustrator. Design seemed like a big time jump, and preparing a design portfolio for the minor application was terrifying.
Thankfully, I was accepted into the program, and this semester, I’ve had the opportunity to learn so much through CDF and…
Themes: Rags to Riches, Discovered treasure (can the love interest be considered “treasure?”)
Color Scheme: purple, blue, yellow, brown
For me, Project 3 was a completely different experience than Project 2. Project 2 involved a significant amount of initial idea brainstorming, and then latching on to a few ideas that worked. But the main theme for Project 3 was the presence of endless iterations. While I did also have my fair share of preliminary ideas for this project, much of my time was devoted to iterating on two main ideas before finally narrowing down to one piece. It was an arduous process, with many a minute tweak, but ultimately, it was a very rewarding process. Here’s how it unfolded!
Exercise 1: Typeface Tracing
Exercise 2: Typographic Voice
Word 1: Relaxation
Favorite typeface: Kefa
When it came to depicting a word like “relaxation,” I wanted to pick a typeface that really emphasized smoothness and comfort. Looking at the shape of the word should immediately give the viewer a sense of ease and familiarity.